What Happened Today in History?
Find out what happened on 16th April in History. There are a lot many happenings which had taken place on this date in the pages of Indian History, here we have listed some of the very important events occurred on 16th April.
Famous Birthdays in History on this day:
- Narayani Shastri (born 16 April 1978) is an Indian television and theatre actress. Shastri was educated at Symbiosis College in Pune, and later moved to Government Law College in Mumbai.Narayani had dated actor Gaurav Chopra.
- Jai Prakash (born 16 April 1958) is an Indian politician for the Mohanlalganj (Lok Sabha Constituency) in Uttar Pradesh.
- Sri Swathi Thirunal Rama Varma (April 16, 1813 – December 25, 1846) was the Maharaja of the state of Travancore in India.
- Lara Dutta Bhupathi (born 16 April 1978) is an Indian Bollywood actress and former Miss Universe (2000). She made her Hindi debut in 2003 with the film Andaaz which was a box office success and won her a Film Fare Best Female Debut Award.
Death anniversaries on 16th April:
- Gobichettipalayam Vasudevan “G. V.” Loganathan (April 8, 1954 – April 16, 2007) was an Indian-born American professor, whose most recent position was a professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental engineering.
- Brigadier Sawai Bhawani Singh Bahadur MVC (22 October 1931 – 17 April 2011) was the Maharaja of Jaipur and head of the Kachwaha clan of Rajputs.
- Nandalal Bose (3 December 1882 – 16 April 1966) was a notable Indian painter of Bengal school of art.
- First railway line opened in India, from Bori Bunder, Bombay to Thane.
- 1903 – Kalka – Simla Railway line opened for public.
- 1959 – Rourkela Steel plant’s first furnace started functioning.
- 1962- Third Lok Sabha was constituted after third general election. Congress party won the majority and Jawaharlal Nehru became the prime minister.