What Happened Today In History?
Find out what happened on 18th June in History. There are a lot many happenings which had taken place on this date in the pages of Indian History, here we have listed some of the very important events occurred on 18th June.
Famous Birthdays in History on this day:
- Kuppahalli Sitaramayya Sudarshan (born June 18, 1931) was the former sarsanghachalak (2000-2009) of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), a Hindu nationalist organisation which is said to be devoted to social welfare. Sudarshan was born in Raipur (now in Chhattisgarh) in a Sanketi Hindu family.
- P. Kakkan (sometimes Kakkan) (June 18, 1908 – December 23, 1981) was a Dalit leader, freedom fighter and Indian politician who served as a member of the Constituent Assembly of India, Member of Parliament, President of the Tamil Nadu Congress Committee and in various ministerial posts in Congress Governments in the erstwhile Madras state between 1957 and 1967.
- Chaitra H. G. is a reputed playback singer from south India, daughter of H. S. Gopinath (a tabla player), and a renowned Hindustani classical vocalist. She is a Madhva Brahmin and holds a Bachelor of Engineering alongside being skilled at Gymnastics and Fencing.
Death anniversaries on 18th June:
- Harilal Mohandas Gandhi , (1888 – 18 June 1948) was the first son of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. Harilal for higher studies and hoped to become a barrister as his father had once been. His father firmly opposed this, believing that a Western-style education would not be helpful in the struggle against British rule over India.
- Ali Akbar Khan (14 April 1922 – 18 June 2009), often referred to as Khansahib or by the title Ustad (master), was a Hindustani classical musician of the Maihar gharana, known for his virtuosity in playing the sarod.
- 1858: Rani Lakshmibai of Jhansi Dies While Fighting the British Troops near Gwalior.
- 1946-Dr Ram Manohar Lohia headed a demonstration in Londa, Goa and called for direct action against the Portuguese.
- 1980-Shakuntala Devi multiplied two 13 digit numbers and gave the correct answer in 28 seconds.