What Happened Today in History?
Find out what happened on 24th April in History. There are a lot many happenings which had taken place on this date in the pages of Indian History, here we have listed some of the very important events occurred on 24th April.
Famous Birthdays in History on this day:
- Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar (born 24 April 1973) is an Indian cricketer widely considered to be one of the greatest batsmen of all time. He is the leading run-scorer and century maker in Test and one-day international cricket.
- Singanalluru Puttaswamayya Muthuraju (24 April 1929 – 12 April 2006), better known by his screen name Rajkumar was a popular actor and singer in the Kannada film industry. He is considered a cultural icon of Kannada where he is also known as Rajanna, Natasarvabhouma (emperor of acting).
- Teejan Bai (born 24 April 1956) is an exponent of Pandavani, a traditional performing art form, from Chhattisgarh, in which she enacts tales from the Mahabharata, with musical accompaniments.
Death anniversaries on 24th April:
- Śri Sathya Sai Baba (born as Sathyanarayana Raju (23 November 1926 – 24 April 2011) was an Indian guru, spiritual figure, mystic, philanthropist and educator. He claimed to be the reincarnation of Sai Baba of Shirdi who was considered a spiritual saint and a miracle worker, whose teachings were an eclectic blend of Hindu and Muslim beliefs, and who died in 1918.
- Ramdhari Singh ‘Dinkar’ (September 23, 1908 – April 24, 1974) was an Indian Hindi poet, essayist and academic, who is considered as one of the most important modern Hindi poets. He emerged as a poet of rebellion as a consequence of his nationalist poetry written in the days before Indian independence.
- Dinanath Mangeshkar (December 29, 1900 – April 24, 1942) was a well-known Marathi theatre actor, a renowned Natya Sangeet musician and an exceptional Hindustani classical vocalist. He was also popularly and reverentially addressed as Master Deenanath Mangeshkar.
- The Institute of Social Sciences, New Delhi has been celebrating April 24- as Women’s Political Empowerment Day since 1994.
- 1311 – Malik Kafur returned to Delhi after Southern campaign.
- 1959 – Nehru met Dalai Lama in Mussorie.
- 1993 – The Constitution (73rd Amendment) Act came into force.
- 1998 – India won the Coca Cola cup at Sharjah.
- 1980 – Baba Gurbachan Singh, Nirankari Chief was assassinated.