- The United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) is a UN body whose mission is to promote and protect human rights around the world.
- The UNHRC has 47 members elected for staggered three-year terms on a regional group basis.
- The headquarters of UNHRC is in Geneva, Switzerland.
OMAAR SAEED ACQUITTAL
- India hit out at Pakistan at the High Level Segment of the 46th Session of the Human Rights Council and said the recent release of Al-Qaeda terrorist Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh is a “clear example” of the connection between the Pakistani state and terrorists.
INDIA’S STATEMENT ON JAN 28
- “This case truly demonstrates Pakistan’s intent on taking action on terror front. It is a travesty of justice not to find Omar Saeed guilty of any charges in this heinous act of terror. Our position on Pakistan taking sustained, verifiable, credible and irreversible action against terrorism and terrorist funding emanating from all territory under its control remains unchanged,” said Mr. Srivastava.
INDIA’S STATEMENT ON FEB 24
- “Pakistan has been the home and patron to the largest number of internationally proscribed terrorist entities and individuals in the world. …The recent acquittal of Omar Saeed Sheikh, al-Qaeda terrorist and murderer of American journalist Daniel Pearl by the Pakistani Supreme Court, is a clear example of the Pakistani establishment’s nexus with such entities and, as the U.S. Secretary of State said, ‘It is an affront to terrorism victims everywhere’,” said diplomat Seema Pujani.
PAKISTAN RAISED THE KASHMIR ISSUE
- Responding to the comments of Pakistan and Turkey on Kashmir and other issues, the Indian diplomatic team said the government of India is “fully cognizant” of its human rights obligations.
INDIA POINTED OUT “INSTITUTIONALIZED DISCRIMINATION AND PERSECUTION”
- The Indian delegation raised religious, sectarian and regional discrimination in Pakistan and said, “The condition of women belonging to minority communities notably Hindus, Sikhs, and Christians remains deplorable.
- “Shias, Hazaras and Ahmadiya communities have continued to face persecution, state-condoned violence and discrimination,” said the official who also highlighted political repression in Balochistan.
TURKEY RAISED THE KASHMIR ISSUE
- Turkey’s Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu had raised the situation in Kashmir and called upon India to resolve the dispute as per the UNSC Resolutions.
- Turkey in the past, especially after India removed special status for the erstwhile state for Jammu and Kashmir has been supporting Pakistani “cause” at various multilateral organizations especially UN.
INDIA RAISED THE TURKEY CYPRUS DISPUTE
- India also hit out at Turkey and said the country had “trampled upon” its own civil society.
- In response India hinted at the Turkey-Cyprus dispute and said, “As far as the subject of UN Resolution is concerned, we would advise Turkey to practise what it preaches by first implementing those UN Resolutions that apply to it.”