- Lumière brothers moving pictures in London (1895)
- July 1896 -show in Bombay.
- The first short films in India were directed by Hiralal Sen, starting with The Flower of Persia (1898).
- First full-length motion picture in India by Dadasaheb Phalke using elements from Sanskrit epics
- Alam Ara -first Indian talking film, on 14 March 1931.
- Bhakta Prahlada (Telugu) -1931
- Kalidas (Tamil) – 1931
- south India’s first talkie films to have a theatrical release.
- First colour film by Ardeshir Irani called Kisan Kanya was released in 1937.
- 1940s to the 1960s – ‘Golden Age’ of Indian cinema. Some of the most critically acclaimed Indian films of all time were produced during this period.
- Pyaasa (1957) and Kaagaz Ke Phool(1959) the Raj Kapoor films Awaara(1951) and Shree 420 (1955).
- Pather Panchali (1955)
- Apu Trilogy (1955–1959) by Satyajit Ray
- India’s submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film:-
• Mother India (1957)
• Salam bombay (1988)
INDIANS AT OSCAR
- 1982 -Bhanu Athaiya -first Indian to win an Oscar for Best costume (GANDHI)
- In 1992 honorary Oscar for Lifetime Achievement awarded to Satyajit Ray
- A. R. Rahman (music composer), Resul Pookutty (sound editor) and Gulzar (lyricist) –Slumdog Millionaire
• Currently India is the world’s largest producer of films with established industries in
• Assamese Cinema
• Bengali Cinema
• Bhojpuri Cinema (Eastern UP)
• Gujrati Cinema
• Hindi Cinema(BOLLYWOOD)
• Kannada Cinema
• Malyalam Cinema
• Telegu cinema
• Dadasaheb phalke award
• National film awards
Future of Indian cinema
• About 3000 films released every year
• Foreign studios entered market
• Global reach of Indian films
• Competition with hollywood
By Dr. Mahipal Singh Rathore
Facebook Id-> facebook.com/mahipalsinghrathore