The QUAD – Indo-Pacific
- India’s EAM S Jaishankar held a virtual conference with his counterparts from the US, Israel and the UAE.
- S Jaishankar is currently on a visit to Israel, he was accompanied by the Isreali Foreign Minister, Yair Lapid while US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and UAE Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan participated virtually.
- The meeting was agreed to utilise complementary capabilities to fulfill overlapping interests and strengthening the strategic partnership at a quadrilateral level in Middle east.
The Big Question
- Is another QUAD in development?
- US SoS Anthony Blinken
- Blinken described Israel, the UAE and India as three of “our most strategic partners”. He said by “bringing friends together in new ways, we are making these partnerships even greater than the sum of their parts”.
- Israeli FM Yair Lapid
- “One of the things we are looking for is synergy, and that is what we will try and create from this meeting.“
- India EAM S Jaishankar
- The three of you are among the closest relationships we have. “I think it is very clear that on the big issues of our times we all think very similarly and what would be helpful would be if we could agree on some practical things to work upon”
- The ministers from four nations discussed a range of issues including climate change, energy cooperation maritime security, and expanding economic and political cooperation in the respective regions. They also focused on post-Covid-19 economic recovery, ways to boost trade and ensuring supply chain resilience & cooperation in science and technology.