Complaint Against Traffic Cops
- The Kerala High Court on Tuesday directed the Police Commissioner of Kochi to take action against traffic police officers who were found using mobile phones while on duty.
Aboobacker K.A & Ors. v. Joint Regional Transport Officer & Anr.
- The Court was adjudicating upon a petition moved by 18 autorickshaw owners challenging the decision of the Joint Regional Transport Authority preventing them from plying the autorickshaws freely and picking up passengers from any stand.
- They argued that there were no designated parking places for parking autorickshaws for the passengers to use the facility of the autorickshaws and thereby requested the authorities to change their stand.
- Traffic Police is directed to ensure that all the owners of the transporters have removed the facility of pressure horns from all the private, official transports and auto rickshaws.
- Two toll-free telephone numbers should be painted/affixed or be notified in every stage carriage vehicles and auto rickshaws for lodging complaints by the passengers, in case any of the drivers of the transport bus etc indulge in the violation.
- Traffic Police is directed to issue directions to the transporters and further directions to drivers not to stop for alighting or taking the passengers except at the dedicated stops.
- Auto-rickshaws may be sensitized not to turn immediately on the right turn side without looking at the back-view or side mirror.
- In case any of the traffic cops are found indulging in talking except urgent official or emergency calls and browsing the mobile phone while on duty any person noticing the same can upload the video in the aforementioned telephone numbers and be permitted to lodge a complaint.