- Q – What is cyber warfare? Explain its special features as compared to traditional war.
- -Snowden revelations have shown that cyberspace could become the theatre of warfare in the 21st century.
- When any state initiates the use of internet based invisible force as an instrument of state policy to sabotage and espionage against another nation it is called cyber warfare
- Attacking the information systems of other countries for espionage and for disrupting their critical infrastructure.
- –includes hacking of vital information , important webpages, strategic controls and intelligence
- –attacks on the websites of Estonia in 2007 and Georgia in 2008
- – -Independent theatre of war.
- -An undefined space (no specific areas)
- -Disguised attackers
- No contact war
- Q- What are critical infrastructure and Critical information Infrastructure? Explain the effects of cyber attacks on CII.
- -CI- Those facilities systems or functions whose incapacity or destruction would cause a debilitation impact on national security, governance ,economy and social well being of a nation.
- Sectors-energy, transportation, banking and finance, telecommunication, Defence, space
- Critical information infrastructure (CII) is broadly defined as including ‘ those networks which are interrelated , interconnected and interdependent.
- -CII are those ICT infrastructure upon which the core functionality of critical infrastructure is dependent.
EFFECTS OF CYBER ATTACKS ON CII
- –damage or destruction of CII
- -Disruption or degradation of services Loss of sensitive and strategic information
- -Widespread damage in short time
- -Cascading effects on several CII