- Minister of Commerce and Industry Piyush Goyal informed that the initial consignment of Geographical Identification (GI) tagged sweet dish ‘Mihidana’ originated from West Bengal’s Bardhaman had been exported to the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- The consignment of the delicious sweet dish – Mihidana – was exported to the country in the Persian Gulf by the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA)
More such consignments to be exported
- As per the Ministry, more of such consignments of the popular sweet dish would be exported to Bahrain during the upcoming Diwali festivities.
- The India Post in collaboration with the APEDA recently released a specially designed envelop to mark the historical legacy of a century-old sweet delicacy and GI-certified Jaynagarer Moa, prepared from popped-rice balls and fresh date-palm jaggery in West Bengal’s Jaynagar.
- A consignment consisting of a collection of unique sweet dishes from West Bengal was also exported to Bahrain by the APEDA.
India’s efforts to promote indigenous products
- A consignment of Jaynagar Moa was exported to the Kingdom of Bahrain in January 2021 by APEDA registered M/S DM Enterprise and GI-tagged food products from the country.
- Also in August 2021, India Post released a special cover on West Bengal’s sweetmeats Mihidana and Sitabhog. West Bengal’s Bardhaman got the GI tag for the century-old sweetmeats in 2017.
- Mihidana, described as the micro cousin of the traditional Boondi, is derived from two words, Mihi meaning fine, and Dana, meaning grain.
- The dessert is made from powdered Kaminibhog,
- It is then blended with water by hand till its colour lightens.
- This mix is then poured through a brass ladle with tiny holes into a pot of ghee and deep-fried.
- The fine fried small rice-like grains are dipped in sugar syrup and drained once soaked.
- The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) was established by the Government of India under the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority Act, 1985.
- It functions under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- The Authority has its headquarters in New Delhi.
- APEDA is mandated with the responsibility of export promotion and development of the scheduled products fruits, vegetables and their products; meat and meat products; poultry and poultry products; dairy products; confectionery, biscuits and bakery products; honey, jaggery and sugar products; cocoa and its products, chocolates of all kinds; alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages; cereal and cereal products; groundnuts, peanuts and walnuts, pickles, papads and chutneys; guar gum; floriculture and floriculture products; herbal and medicinal plants.
- It looks after the development of industries relating to the scheduled products for export by way of providing financial assistance or otherwise for undertaking surveys and feasibility studies, participating through subsidy schemes.
- Registration of persons as exporters of the scheduled products and fixing of standards and specifications for the scheduled products for the purpose of exports.
- Chairman – Appointed by the Central Government.
- Director – Appointed by APEDA.
- Secretary – Appointed by the Central Government.
- Other Officers and Staff – Appointed by the Authority.
Geographical Indication Tag???
- It is aninsignia on products having a unique geographical origin and evolution over centuries with regard to its special quality or reputed attributes.
- It is a mark of authenticityand ensures that registered authorized users or at least those residing inside the geographic territory are allowed to use the popular product names.
West Bengal’s GI Tags
- Darjeeling Tea (Word & Logo)
- Laxman Bhog Mango
- Khirsapati (Himsagar) Mango
- Malda Fazli Mango
- Gobindabhog Rice
- Tulapanji Rice
- Nakshi Kantha
- Santiniketan Leather Goods
- Santipur Saree
- Baluchari Saree
- Dhaniakhali Saree
- Bankura Panchmura Terracotta Craft
- Bengal Dokra
- Bengal Patachitra
- Purulia Chau Mask
- Wooden Mask of Kushmandi
- Joynagar Moa
- Bardhaman Sitabhog
- Bardhaman Mihidana
- Banglar Rasogolla
Q.Consider the following statements about APEDA:
- APEDA was established by the Government of India under the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority Act, 1985.
- It deals with the export promotion and development of the scheduled products
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) Both 1 and 2 are correct
(b) 1 Only
(c) 2 only
(d) Both 1 and 2 are incorrect