- Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi is a Pakistan based Islamic terrorist.
- He is the leader of the terrorist group Lashkar-e-Taiba and serves as Supreme Commander of Operations in Kashmir.
- He is on NIA’s Most Wanted list, which names him as one of the major planners behind the 2008 Mumbai Terror Attacks.
- Lakhvi is also a UN-designated terrorist.
Why is he arrested & jailed?
- Not in connection with Mumbai Terror attacks of 2008…!!!
- Lakhvi was accused of running a dispensary and using funds collected for terrorism financing. He also used these funds for personal expenses.
- Lakhvi pleaded before the court that he was “falsely implicated” in this case.
- Ministry of External Affairs:
- The timing of these actions clearly suggests the intention of conveying a sense of compliance ahead of APJG (Asia Pacific Joint Group) meet and the next FATF (Financial Action Task Force) plenary meet in February 2021.
- It has become routine for Pakistan to come up with farcical actions prior to important meetings.
- Lakhvi was presented before the Lahore ATC on 08-01-2021 and was convicted the same day in the terror financing case.
Pakistan’s Farcical actions
Paisa Bolta hai
- It’s quite evident that Indian pressure and American prodding has not worked with Pakistan to ensure Zaki Ur Rehman Lakhvi’s conviction in the Mumbai terror attacks.
- However, Pakistan has been fearful about punitive action from the Financial Action Task Force.
- Due to constant FATF warning, Pakistan has now started to take action against Terrorists.
No Meaningful action
- Pakistan’s Track Record
- Lakhvi was an “under trial” detainee in Adiala jail, Rawalpindi during the Mumbai Blast case, in which he has received bail.
- At that time, Lakhvi could receive guests and use the Internet, access a mobile phone and watch television in the jail.
- It is believed that, he has even fathered a child while in jail…!!
- So, we have to wait and watch what kind of “jail treatment” awaits Lakhvi this time.